You probably have a favorite yoga studio and a favorite yoga teacher, but it’s not always easy to get to the studio as often as you’d like and that doesn’t have to be a bad thing! Here are 5 reasons why yoga at home can complement your studio practice and help you become a more independant yogi while taking your practice to the next level.
1. Do yoga when you feel like it, not just when classes are offered. Have insomnia? Try a class at 4 am! Got home late from work and missed the last studio class of the day, no problem, put on your comfiest t shirt and practice in your living room!
2. Do yoga for as long (or short) as you want! 90 minutes, 30 minutes, or 10 minutes. A little yoga is better than no yoga at all and consistency is more important than length. You’ll see more benefit from 15 minutes of yoga every day, then you will from one 90 minute class every week or two.
3. Work on challenging poses that you don’t always have time to perfect in class. Let’s take an arm balance, titibasana. You’re close to nailing it but first of all, you never know if you’re teacher is going to work on it that day, or even that week! Secondly, when she does teach it, after 5 minutes the rest of the class is ready to move on, even if you’re not. Thirdly, it’s kind of nice to be able to fall on your butt where no one can see you, makes you feel braver, more open to experimenting!
4. Create your own yoga sanctuary. No one’s foot in your face. No one's sweat dripping on your mat but your own. What a relief not to worry about the crowd and just go inward.
5. Experience your longest, deepest Savasana. Truly, deeply, let go. No sound of conversations coming from the next class waiting in the lobby. No one pulling you out just as you drop in. No snore worries. Just. Let. Go.
Try yoga at home with MyYogaWorks, free for 1 month. Enter promo code: MONTHFREE.
Offer expires on 12/31/14. Credit card required to sign up. Cancel anytime.