Whether you realize it or not, this group of us in the fitness industry do not pull in the big bucks.
Unless Sting is flying them out somewhere, you should know that your average full time Yoga Teacher and Fitness Provider is making between $30-$40k—and that’s for the popular ones working full time.
They are providing services just as your waitress, or food delivery driver, except they are getting up close and personal. Helping your sweaty body get into shape or move deeper. They are lifting you, assisting you and in all ways trying to help you accomplish your physical and personal goals.
So if you are in the spirit of giving and have no clue what is appropriate, here is a top 10 list of thoughtful gifts to give this holiday season:
1. Gift card to their favorite athletic store (Lululemon, Lucy, Athleta), department shopping store (Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Macy’s, Neiman Marcus or what ever may be in the area), or restaurant (make sure you consider if your fitness provider is vegan or not and try to think beyond Starbucks!).
2. Cash in a hand written card. There is nothing wrong with a cash tip but it’s great when we get to read how we’ve contributed to your world in the past year as well.
3. Something at a spa: massage, pedicure, manicure. Think of this as giving back.
4. Thoughtful gifts made with love: Mala necklace, knitted scarf, baked goods you know they are not allergic to (keep in mind you are dealing with a healthy crowd here).
5. Gas gift card—this may not be the most fun gift but chances are your teacher or fitness professional is driving all over the place to make their career full time.
6. Donation to a charity of their choice and a card letting them know it has occurred!
7. iTunes gift cards so they can keep downloading great music for you to hear during your classes.
8. Book a private session with them (this will benefit you both) and help them increase income during the holiday season.
9. Fill out some positive feedback at their job if comment cards are available. Chances are it will get back to them and you are contributing towards their continuance of career! A card thanking them is appreciated as well.
10. If you know them more personally, try to express that when choosing a gift, body stuff like Sephora are always nice but be sure you know what they are or are not allergic to. Otherwise, stick with the gift card.
Services are services and if you love the services you receive and look forward to them then it is important to recognize that during the holiday season, regardless of what holiday you are celebrating. Outside of letting your fitness professional know you think they are great and you have gratitude for their service, you are also recognizing that what they do and who they are, are an important part in your life! I promise, that means a lot to them too!